This blog was created to provide people in the local area to list horses that need homes. If you have a horse that you would like added to the list, please email me at Jamie_042364@yahoo.com with the basic details of the horse including a good photograph is possible.

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Mustang Mare



Hello,

I was wondering if you could help or direct me.

I'm sure my story isn't unique or anything, but last May, my daughter's trainer and I picked up a mare and foal from a "Mustang Breeder" that could no longer afford to take care of their horses, (the trainer wanted the foal). Sadly they chose to turn out their Registered Keiger Stallion with all the other registered mustangs and soon all the mares were pregnant and within months there was no more food. ALL 18 mustangs were boney thin! Sadly there were 5 or 6 babies, yearlings, 2yr olds and mares. The people were warned by the Humane Society, but just because they showed a receipt for hay, gave whatever excuse and there were no further visits, etc., etc... I'm sure we've all heard the stories...

Anyway, I sponsored the mare by providing feed and whatever care she needed. She went to live with the trainer on 22 acres, green pasture, excellent care, extra food, and they both became healthy. Since she was right down the street, I visited twice a day, fed extras and worked with the mare a little.

Weaning time came 2 weeks ago and the trainer had me go ahead and take the mare. BUT I really don't have the facility or the funds to keep her.

I'd like to re-home her. Do you take Mustangs like her?

If you don't, can you direct me to someone who does?
I'm in Wilsonville, OR and would be happy to deliver her to someone who understands these special horses and is willing to give her a chance. She IS registerable!

She's at least 15hh, 6-7yrs old, very smart (as all mustangs are), probably not alpha, she communicates clearly to me and treats me like another mare or foal. I can halter her, pick-up all her feet, clean & file them, clean her stall and paddock without any threat and she gets in the trailer with a bucket of grain. She seems to tie fine, but I don't know how much work she had. I put a saddle pad on-off-on-off-on and she walked around with it on just fine. That's about as far as I can go with her.

I've attached some pics.

I look forward to your guidance,

Glenda
503.686.4088

1 comment:

shadowpix said...

Hi Glenda. She looks like a beautiful mare, I bet she's an easy keeper too! I would take her if I could, but I just don't have the room. I'm also in Manitoba...where are you? Anyway, please be careful that a slaughter buyer doesn't try to "take her off your hands". Good luck.